how to skill blunt defense

Torrey
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

how to skill blunt defense

Postby Torrey » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 14:54

I am trying to skill up my alts to wear harnois and all are stuck needing boosts to their blunt defense skill. I don't quite understand the business of adjusting their armor or weapons or companions to max. the chance of this - could someone explain it or point me to an earlier thread I've missed?

For example, one is currently at base defense levels 33.5/39.5/36 I need to get his blunt defense to 37. Should I unequip certain armors or weapons? use or not use certain companions (Cerry, Yraen, Gaspard, Squire), fight certain places? Seems all his skil ups are in the wrong skills - like piercing offense or his companions get the skill ups. thanks in advance.

Yushi
Emperator

Re: how to skill blunt defense

Postby Yushi » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 15:32

Whichever defense you want to skill up you want to make the effective be lower than the other two. Can achieve this by using; combat talismans, various shields, adjusting companions. You can also choose to fight specific enemies, including fighting at combat training sites.

Combat Talismans
Arto for blunt defense
Ward for pierce defense
Nirm for slash defense

Shields(metal pavise with Wyvern Leather)
Eliandel for blunt defense
Odiemel for pierce defense
Domane for slash defense

Talisman and shield don't contribute to damage reduction at all. All they do is push effective stats to where you need them depending on the armor you're using.

Personal combat training sites go up to 40, then guild sites take over and go all the way up to 70.
Here's a great tool to use for finding a specifically statted enemy to fight: http://en.theriansagawiki.com/bestiary.php
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Torrey
Citoyen

Postby Torrey » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 16:12

thank you. that's very helpful. does a companion push your effective stats up just by being in the lineup - even if you don't use it in a fight? that is, should I park Gaspard in a garage to remove his effect on my blunt defense stat? or just not use him in the fight?

Yushi
Emperator

Postby Yushi » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 17:24

Yeah, even if it isn't in the active slots, it'll still add to effective. For instance, I bring Norstrian Goat with me to Ice Lab for the Snow boost, but he never sees combat.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Partho
Défricheur

Postby Partho » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 10:41

Yushi wrote:Talisman and shield don't contribute to damage reduction at all. All they do is push effective stats to where you need them depending on the armor you're using.

I didn't understand this part. Can you explain a bit?

Addam
Citoyen

Postby Addam » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 14:02

Yushi wrote:Personal combat training sites go up to 40, then guild sites take over and go all the way up to 70.
Here's a great tool to use for finding a specifically statted enemy to fight: http://en.theriansagawiki.com/bestiary.php
What do you need to build a personal training site? ie. building and/or machine?

Yushi
Emperator

Postby Yushi » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 15:06

Yushi wrote:Talisman and shield don't contribute to damage reduction at all.

When you get hit, it hits one of six hp bars corresponding to an armor slot. If it hits your arms, it uses your arms armor bonuses to factor in how much damage is dealt to that bar. Shield is not an armor slot with a corresponding hp bar. I failed to mention, however, that shield's do provide a damage reduction overall, but Talisman still does not.

Yushi wrote:All they do is push effective stats to where you need them depending on the armor you're using.

Your effective stats are what determines which attack type an enemy will use. If you can somehow get your effective blunt defense 8 points above your pierce defense, then some enemy that would normally attack you with blunt, will instead attack you with pierce. The numbers have to be close enough on that enemies offenses in order for this to work, though. I'll give an example.

Nyxeconos:
blunt offense - 47
pierce offense - 63
slash offense - 58

Hero: (effective stats)
blunt defense - 50
pierce defense - 58
slash defense - 50

in this example Nyxeconos will attack our Hero with slash, rather than his main attack (pierce).

Yushi
Emperator

Postby Yushi » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 15:17

Addam wrote:What do you need to build a personal training site? ie. building and/or machine?

Fighting Pit: 10 stone foundation, 5 framework, 1 dummy (machine)

Stage: 15 rigid wall, 15 foundation, 15 rigid roof, 2 stone tower, 1 dummy (machine)

Taken from: http://www.theriansaga.com/guide/skills ... 2bcb902040

Navigated to by searching for "general" in the game guide

Addam
Citoyen

Postby Addam » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 15:41

Yushi wrote:
Addam wrote:What do you need to build a personal training site? ie. building and/or machine?

Fighting Pit: 10 stone foundation, 5 framework, 1 dummy (machine)

Stage: 15 rigid wall, 15 foundation, 15 rigid roof, 2 stone tower, 1 dummy (machine)

Taken from: http://www.theriansaga.com/guide/skills ... 2bcb902040

Navigated to by searching for "general" in the game guide

Where can you learn to build those? I haven't discovered them yet. What materials give you the best bonuses?

Yushi
Emperator

Postby Yushi » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 16:01

I think you can just go buy fighting pit in city of hawkoria, but I could be wrong. The stage comes from one of the arenas (avidel I think).

For materials, it doesn't really matter. Just need to beat the constructability of wherever you're building it. Which, you should probably build it somewhere simple.

Deva
Bourlingueur

Postby Deva » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 16:03

Disclaimer: Not certain on requirements either.

Fighting Pit: Clear Avidel Arena. (Finds it via Teasan Village.)
Stage: Access Lanfar. Go to Faurash Tower in Kingfalcon Mountains (about (94, 159)).

Dummy: Depends what you want. Balanced? High Slashing Defense? Matters very little. Boosts your offenses and defenses slightly, not theirs.

Various builds (not necessarily optimal):
- Salandrin/Nocturial/Volcanite/Wingu: 32/23/25 offenses. 28/26/29 defenses.
- Solone/Fortified Leather/Lithosnow/Huberian: 14/20/14 offenses. 22/19/17 defenses.
- Maple/Reptilian/Slate/Waxed Cotton: 10/10/8 offenses. 8/15/7 defenses.
- Fir/Soft Leather/Marl/Linen: 4/5/3 offenses. 5/6/4 defenses.

Balok
Bâtisseur

Postby Balok » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 20:05

Deva wrote:Various builds (not necessarily optimal):
- Salandrin/Nocturial/Volcanite/Wingu: 32/23/25 offenses. 28/26/29 defenses.
- Solone/Fortified Leather/Lithosnow/Huberian: 14/20/14 offenses. 22/19/17 defenses.
- Maple/Reptilian/Slate/Waxed Cotton: 10/10/8 offenses. 8/15/7 defenses.
- Fir/Soft Leather/Marl/Linen: 4/5/3 offenses. 5/6/4 defenses.

Are these numbers added to the base of the facility (stage or pit) in the same way Inn values are added? i.e. if the base value is 40, then the result would be 40 + .6 x <number from dummy>?
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here!! This is the War Room!

Deva
Bourlingueur

Postby Deva » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 20:39

Lacks any base stats. (Applies to all combat buildings, including guild ones.) Copies the Dummy's exactly. Technically follows the formula: 0 + 1 * (Dummy).

Assists you by counting as a location bonus (similar to workshops). Tends to be the lowest contributor, however.

Yushi
Emperator

Postby Yushi » Mon 29 Feb 2016, 20:47

I really see no point in making a good dummy...

Thanks Deva for correcting the locations for those recipes. I really wasn't sure.

Addam
Citoyen

Postby Addam » Tue 01 Mar 2016, 15:53

Deva wrote:Disclaimer: Not certain on requirements either.

Fighting Pit: Clear Avidel Arena. (Finds it via Teasan Village.)

Ha! I'd finished Avidel but didn't have the fighting pit. I just had to go back and finish the quest though.

Balok
Bâtisseur

Postby Balok » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 18:09

Deva wrote:Lacks any base stats. (Applies to all combat buildings, including guild ones.) Copies the Dummy's exactly. Technically follows the formula: 0 + 1 * (Dummy).

Assists you by counting as a location bonus (similar to workshops). Tends to be the lowest contributor, however.

Well, that's unfortunate. A facility can't help me, as most of my fighting stats are in the high 20's and low 30's, and I have no access to the kind of materials it would take to make a dummy capable of helping them. I'd need volcanite, nocturial, salandrin and wingu and I think you need Norstria access to get those. Which I can't get because... I can't fight very well. :)
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here!! This is the War Room!

Morlop
Animateur
Realm: Filgar

Postby Morlop » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 18:28

doesn't matter, I build crappy dummies in all of my fighting pits... Since your opponents there take and make reduced damage it's still a great way to level your fighting skills. Putting good materials into a dummy is not really worth the effort.

Deva
Bourlingueur

Postby Deva » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 18:33

Fights set opponents, not the dummy. Example: Stage’s "Ranger". 37 Piercing Offense. 43 Piercing Offense. (40 +/- 3 stats.) Never recorded the attack debuff and defense buff.

Acquires those materials pre-Norstria.
- Volcanite: Den quest.
- Nocturial: Wyvernus drop.
- Wingu: Sword Cape trade-in.
- Salandrin: Bolgatur Fortress (Giant Plains), Halmvik (Norstria), or a Dalesseria Valley concession. Drops in Elisime Ruins and Ice Laboratory too.
Heavily advises against wasting those on a Dummy (except maybe a guild one).

Return to “General”