Training Defense

glumetzul
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

Training Defense

Postby glumetzul » Wed 14 Jun 2017, 09:56

Hey!

I know the basics, but I am interested in more precise advices about how strong should a NPC be in an area in order to help me or my companions train their defense.

One obvious fact is that the possibility to skill up a defense skill (blunt / piercing / slashing) is only available to the character recieving hits, either me or the companion blocking me.

But I also think, not sure about this one, that I will only have a chance to level up my defense if myself or the companion manages to dodge a certain attack. So this is question number 1. Is it true that I only get level up in defense when I dodge an attack or does it also work when I actually get hit by the enemy.

And, depending on the answer to the previous question, here comes the big mistery. If I am right, and I have to dodge the attack, exactly what NPC level you recommed compared to the defense so I can actually skill up the defense. If the NPC is too strong, he will alwasy land a hit so that's not good. If the NPC is too weak, then his skill won't really help me level up.

As a theoretical example, let's say I have a companion with blunt defense of 35 and I want to raise that. If I go to an arena with opponents that have 40+ blunt offense, they will always land a hit and it seems to me that my companion won't learn anything from being hit all the time. Even a 35+ NPC seems to always hit. If however I go to an arena with opponents that have about 20 blunt offense, my companion will dodge a lot of those hits but at the end of the fight he won't skill up because his own defense was already a lot higher than the opposing offense. So what would be optimal in this situation? 30 blunt offense? 25? 32? I don't know exactly what to look for so I can optimize the time I spent training and not just waste my time in fights that don't really result in anything.

Borgratz
Défricheur
Realm: -

Re: Training Defense

Postby Borgratz » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 08:19

I am almost certain you can level without dodging. I have been told that dosging increases the chance though. Im not sure about endgame but with skills around 35, fighting low damage enemies with 40 attack (stage) seems to work better than dodging alot of attack 32 attacks. Im sure the experts will have mathier advice ☺

Razvan
Citoyen

Postby Razvan » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 08:57

Sometimes you get defense skillups when you dodge, other times you don't. Last experience for me, got hit a few times by Wyvernus' 84 pierce offense, I didn't dodged, but I got a skillup (88->89 defense discipline).
But yeah, usually if you dodge multiple times, you have higher chance to see at least one skillup.

And for your example with your companion, I'd say to try at the 40 Stage untill it reaches 42 or so, then go at the guilds' arena with 50 mobs. It's not easy, it will definitely take time, but once you learn how to do it, and IF you have time to train, sleep, train again, sleep and so on all day, you might max that stat really fast.

Almost same thing with offense, you gotta be sure that you aren't too strong for that monsters' defense, you might see the monster dodging from time to time and it might give you a skillup, but that doesn't happen everytime. You'll see that dodging doesn't give you skillups everytime when you are over 95. I think that Watchmaker dodged me more than 100 times and still doesn't want to give me something.

glumetzul
Citoyen

Postby glumetzul » Thu 15 Jun 2017, 19:22

Thanks for the advice. I used to think that getting hit worked just as well but after a pretty big number of cycles where my companions would get hit to death for nothing I started becoming more and more sure that I was doing it wrong. Guess I just ought to keep trying.

With offense it's a lot easier since at 35 vs 35 I will land a lot of hits and I know they will count for a skill up sooner or later.

Melindra
Bourlingueur

Postby Melindra » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 23:48

For optimal skill gain in defense, you want to be around 5 points of the mob. That means, if your Piercing defense skill is 41/40 and the mob Piercing attack is 30, it is very unlikely to get a skillup. You want to find a mob that has ~45 attack.
Think of dodging as a "successful" defense. When you have a success, it is more likely to get a skillup. When you get hit (a "failure"), you can still skillup, but it is less likely. This is why dodging those little spiders in giant plains can raise your plains skill 10-15 points in one fight. You don't gain defense points from him because, by that point, the difference is likely too great for a defense skillup since he is only like 5 attack. :lol:

Your original example of training your companion's defense is how it's done. If his defense is 35, you should definitely let him get hit/try to dodge a 40 attacker. That is the optimal spread point. It takes time to train companions defenses, since they have to sleep with you to regain their health. This is why it is not recommended to train all of your companions' defenses. It's just not worth the effort in most cases. Golem monster, yes. Eternal hiker, yes. maybe gaspard. maybe rowan. Other people may have different suggestions, but due to the time/effort involved, those are really the only companions' defenses you should train.

Return to “General”