Buying Blue Crowns

Zutphania
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

Buying Blue Crowns

Postby Zutphania » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 05:27

I just bought some blue crowns. Can anyone from Virtys please tell me why I need to give a phone number? If I don't have a phone I can't get blue crowns? Not amused at all having to give a phone number.

Valkyrie
Testeur

Re: Buying Blue Crowns

Postby Valkyrie » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 05:29

you should be able to pay via paypal

Noblesse-Raizel
Citoyen

Postby Noblesse-Raizel » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 05:30

I bought some Blue Crowns (BC) recently, and it did not ask for my phone number. I used Paypal to do the payment
Noblesse-Raizel "is a Noble from Lukedonia who holds the special title of True Noblesse." (Noblesse Wikia)

Zutphania
Citoyen

Postby Zutphania » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 06:03

I used a credit card, skipped the phone number and it would not let me proceed until I had filled in a valid phone number.

Noblesse-Raizel
Citoyen

Postby Noblesse-Raizel » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 07:35

Zutphania wrote:I used a credit card, skipped the phone number and it would not let me proceed until I had filled in a valid phone number.

That could be because of the security purposes from your credit card company? I am just guessing...
Noblesse-Raizel "is a Noble from Lukedonia who holds the special title of True Noblesse." (Noblesse Wikia)

Ambrielle
Emperator

Postby Ambrielle » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 08:25

Generally the fields requested in an online card transaction are those required by the payment processor, and are not passed on to the merchant who receives the money. This depends on implementation specifics, obviously, but the one I set up for our online order system at work does this, we just get a notification from the card processor of a payment being made and authorised, not the card number or any of the personal details entered - the security of the card number and personal data is up to them, rather than us.

Balok
Bâtisseur

Postby Balok » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 13:09

From my retail experience, admittedly years ago: the fields requested are specified by the credit underwriter (the bank behind your card). They use these fields to verify that you are who you claim to be. However, some fields are more important than others, and the telephone field is relatively unimportant. How many fields must match, and which ones, depends on the merchant's history, your history, and the size of the purchase. If you have an uncomplicated history (not a lot of charge backs or claims of fraud), the merchant is well-known and the purchase is small (the definition of small varies with the bank & country), they won't reject the charge for a missing or mismatched phone number. The vendor's website may insist on a phone number - but if it does not have to match, well...

As to whether the vendor keeps the phone number, that depends on their site design. Here in the U.S. vendors can market to a phone number for eighteen months following the last transaction even for those who have signed up at donotcall.gov (a service that permits phone number holders to register their disinterest in receiving many marketing calls). Some do keep phone numbers for this purpose.
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here!! This is the War Room!

Zutphania
Citoyen

Postby Zutphania » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 15:35

I have never had to put in my phone number in any other transactions with any of my credit cards on-line or in person before.
Therefore I can not see this as a requirement from my credit card company. (Unless they just started it)

Ishael
Bourlingueur
Realm: -

Postby Ishael » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 15:50

We are using PayPal to process the credit card transactions and they are the ones requiring those fields.

Usually for a Credit card transaction (with different providers) the few things that are really checked (send to the credit card processor (MasterCard, Visa, etc...) are your name, Zip code, Phone number (to contact you in case of a fraud) and the security code behind your card. We cannot ask PayPal to do not require those fields unfortunately as it is how their system is working.

Maracor
Emperator

Postby Maracor » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 19:27

Most of the games I donate to have card processing forms which require i)Name (as it appears on the card), ii) Card Number, iii) Card expiry date, iv) CCV and v) nothing else. PayPal describe the real-world personal data they require as 'billing information' - it is not; they're not sending me a bill. The system GF used had an extra layer of security, in that in addition to the card information, I also had to input a password into a security system set up by my bank - no problem there, but most systems don't even bother with that.
If you can set up a payment system that does not require information that is only of interest to spammers and cold-callers, then I will be more than happy to support the game (the first thing I did when the game came back after the transfer was try to buy one of the 'Emperator' packages - then I saw the Pay Pal form...). This is a great game, I've been playing for nearly two years and I *want* to support it. Not through PayPal though.

Return to “General”