Realm: Agonedus

Brexit is confirmed

Postby Gopol » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 22:15

Laerities/Volund
Bâtisseur
Realm: Fauconnia

Re: Brexit is confirmed

Postby Laerities/Volund » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 22:58

I know quite a few people who are mad about this.. Not sure why though because its the country's choice no one elses. It is also not the first time they have held a vote.
"Gold? Gold is no good out here" You think you are some kind of Jedi?? Only resources, no resources, no trade NO DEAL.

Laerities Watto

Gopol
Mystique

Postby Gopol » Fri 24 Jun 2016, 23:44

As it is, I'm not really sure wether it is a bad thing for the rest of europe or not.

The only thing that made me sad about it (beside the murder that is) is that once again, the quality of the campaign didn't seem very high. I might be wrong on this as I have only a very limited view of what happened in the UK but that is the impression i got.

esslemn
Citoyen

Postby esslemn » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 01:05

Well I live in the UK and both campaigns were rubbish. Anyone with a grudge or a problem or didn't like the government voted for change. The people have voted without any understanding of the consequences.

And now at least 48.1% of the UK are mad about this!!

Laerities/Volund
Bâtisseur

Postby Laerities/Volund » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 01:57

I don't live in the UK but I heard that this will affect Game Of Thrones and well thats a problem for me.
"Gold? Gold is no good out here" You think you are some kind of Jedi?? Only resources, no resources, no trade NO DEAL.

Laerities Watto

Ambrielle
Emperator

Postby Ambrielle » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 12:40

I do live in the UK, what with being British and everything. I'm gutted about the result, both for my country and on a personal level for my Italian friend who has lived and worked here more than half her life and now says she no longer feels welcome in what has become her home.

It is certainly true that some people have said things like "I voted to leave, but only because I didn't think we actually would leave", but that's just a reflection on them being stupid. Democracy isn't hard, there's no excuse for voting the wrong way in a secret ballot. :shock:

Can't see it affecting GoT as that will be finished before the article 50 negotiations conclude and until then the UK is still an EU member.

Laerities/Volund
Bâtisseur

Postby Laerities/Volund » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 15:13

Well we will see whether in the long term its a good or bad thing, we won't know until ya know later.

Laerities Watto

Woody
Emperator

Postby Woody » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 15:14

Sad & embarressing times. Couldn't be less proud to be British right now. :cry:

Just signed a petition to make London independent and apply to rejoin the EU... it has over 150,000 signatures and rising lol
Classic, Fantastic, Romantic

esslemn
Citoyen

Postby esslemn » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 15:45

There's also a petition for a second referendum (UK nationals only) at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Woody
Emperator

Postby Woody » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 16:07

esslemn wrote:There's also a petition for a second referendum (UK nationals only) at https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Oh I guess that's a more important / useful one. thanks :)
Classic, Fantastic, Romantic

Coastis
Bourlingueur

Postby Coastis » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 18:21

Count me as part of that 48.1% who are pretty damn disgusted about the rest of the country falling for the lies and propaganda of the Leave campaign, lies and propaganda that just 24 hours later they have admitted they have no intention/capability to fulfill.

But hey the 52% got to stick it to the establishment and political elite, right? No, they simply handed an even nastier far right wing establishment even more power over the general public, the same people who caused the majority of the problems that voters have blamed on the EU.

On top of that, we now have every racist scumbag thinking that 52% of the country agree with their mentality.

Sad times indeed :(

esslemn
Citoyen

Postby esslemn » Sat 25 Jun 2016, 22:57

Sadly, I can only agree.

Gopol
Mystique

Postby Gopol » Sun 26 Jun 2016, 20:02

You might ask for a new ref when the conditions for actually leaving the EU are settled. But that might prove a bit difficult, politically of course but even more so diplomatically. EU diplomats and prime ministers might not be very willing to negociate with that kind of mindset.

And of course, there is also those small issues about Scotland and Northern Ireland that might ask for a different kind of referendum of their own. There too it might make sense to wait for the actual terms of the Brexit to be known though.

What do you think ?

Aeschylus
Citoyen

Postby Aeschylus » Sun 26 Jun 2016, 22:42

There's a damn good reason that the US never holds national referenda, and that direct democracy is denounced in some of its earliest foundational documents (the Federalist Papers) -- to paraphrase John Adams, direct democracy just gives rise to another tyrant -- the Tyrant Majority. This whole campaign was as good an example of the wisdom of that as I could possibly have imagined.

The funny thing is, as a non-EU foreign undesirable living in the UK, their voting to leave is actually a net benefit to me what with the pound crashing and all. Heh, suckers.

Gopol
Mystique

Postby Gopol » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 13:46

Our own flemish independantist leader in Belgium, Bart de Wever, said that he doesn't believe in referenda either because he doesn't believe complex problems can be solved by a simple yes/no and people tend to vote with their heart.

I find myself in the rare situation of granting him a point.

I fail to see, however, how you can reasonnably obtain independance without a referendum or plebiscite.

Sure, Brexit isn't really independance but could you imagine a Brexit without a referendum ? In this instance, however, I believe it would have been a lot more correct to run a referendum only after a majority of MPs also agreed to it. Because now they might have to vote on provisions and agreements etc on how to implement it when they actually don't want to implement it which can be weird.

Return to “Flood Zone”