Making companions work

glumetzul
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

Making companions work

Postby glumetzul » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 19:00

Ok, so the official guide does not go at all into details about this subject but I wanted to give a try to making my companion work while they are not around me.

So I bought / crafter the components and I built myself a very very lesser digging site (archeology 15, prestige 4, durability 15) in the Plains of Hawkoria. I was hoping that once I have that built, I'll have some soft of an extra option to make the erudite do his thing around there but nothing of that sort.

So what am I doing wrong exactly? I suspect one of the three:
1. The erudite who has an interest in comfort 3 doesn't want to work in a place who doesn't match that interest of his.
2. Making your companion work is only available for second degree craftin (eg wood work not wood cut or felling).
3. There is some other way / button that I've missed.

Also, if by any chance the problem is no 1, is there a way I can simulate the resulting qualities of a building without having to own the materials for it?

Deva
Bourlingueur

Re: Making companions work

Postby Deva » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 19:23

Number one. Construct a building with 3 Comfort there (or higher). Suggests a Tent. Suffices with vendor materials from Hawkoria (5 Comfort).

Requires you to own materials or visit a third-party site to check buildings beforehand. Follows a formula, though.
- Hut/Shelter: Comfort = 10 + 0.9 * (Comfort item).
- Cottage/Inn: Comfort = 20 + 0.8 * (Comfort item).

Example: Wishes to build an Inn. Uses two items with Comfort: Counter and Furniture. Selects the highest value. Typically recommends a Complex Cedar Counter (25 Comfort). Resulting Inn: 20 + (0.8 * 25) = 20 + 20 = 40 Comfort.

Note: Cannot use companions to automatically identify fragments, cut logs into planks, or any woodworking. Limits companions to automatic gathering, such as herbs, logs, stone lumps, gems, ore, artifact fragments, and so on.

Balok
Bâtisseur

Postby Balok » Tue 08 Mar 2016, 20:41

glumetzul wrote:2. Making your companion work is only available for second degree craftin (eg wood work not wood cut or felling).

Companions can only gather. They cannot process.

You click on the tab for the archaeology site, then click on the Erudite, who must be accompanying you (a companion off gathering counts against the number who are accompanying you, and appears in that list). Whatever he can do there will show up as an icon at the bottom of the list (in your case, a picture of an unidentified common artifact) that typically has "Rename" and "Abandon" on it. Click that icon, and he'll start doing the job. If his skill isn't sufficient then no icon will appear.

If you have not yet constructed this facility, I recommend you build it in Goldenfog Plains instead of Plains of Hawkoria. The presence of artifacts is much greater there.
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here!! This is the War Room!

Aranna
Citoyen

Postby Aranna » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 02:13

I posted this info elsewhere on the forums, thought you might find it useful. Here is a list of all the gather buildings & skills (along with items). Note, I'm listing the little categories they are grouped together in, not the trades (eg Felling is in Woodcutting, but I'm saying Felling as you can't use them to make planks, just gather logs)

These items are also gatherable via a camp (no building needed, but you can't passive gather)
Felling (Lumberjack Camp - Logs)
Botany (Botanism Trail - Binders, Wild/Meta Plaints, Blacknester Cocoons)
Hunting (Hunting Area - Body)
Fishing (Hunting Area on top of a fishing site - Fish)

Well these ones are only available if you build a concession with the gather site (may be NPC sites, but no gathering from camps)
Commerce (Store - Agreements)
Influence (Secret Vault - Favors)
Extraction (Quarry with Rails for Stone - Lumps & Sand)
Charcoal Extraction (Mine with Rails for Stone - Fuel)
Gemstone Extraction (Mine with Rails for Stone - Uncut Gems)
Prospection (Mine with Rails for Ore - Nuggets & Lodestone)
Mining (Mine with Rails for Ore - Ore)
Harvesting (Field - Bundle & Apple)
Breeding (Pen - Breeding)
Search (Digging Site - Unknown Artifact)

---
Deva noted a few examples of buildings you can make to meet the comfort/prestige requirement of the companion you want to have passive gather (only 1 building needs to meet or exceed the requirement, and that 1 building may cover all workers). There are some buildings (eg Store) which also have Prestige/Comfort, but in general you'll need a Hut/Cottage/etc.
---
And as Balok noted, you may only passive gather (as you may tell from the above lists) basic gathering tasks, all other tasks must be done by the hero.
---
A bit of extra information:
-You have to leave the companions active, but onsite, when they Passive Gather. This means they take up a Companion Slot and Authority well they gather.
-You may only passive gather with Leadership (Authority/Defiance) companions.
-Companions gather at 1/3 speed (so if it takes your hero 1 hour to gather, it takes them 3 hours), this simulates them resting/etc.
-Passive Gathering costs some coin in wages, however (iirc) you'll always turn a profit even if you sell to the NPC (its just so you can't leave someone passive gathering for like 6 months and then flood/crash the market).
-In general, you may only passive gather things that have a yield per task, and have no inputs other than time
Also:
-I didn't include the recruiting skills (leadership/taming) above as you can't passive them, but those ones come at a % Presence, and you need to do so many tasks to recruit them (400/x% rounded up, where x is the Presence. example 10% is 400/10=40 tasks). The guild exclusive tasks are akin to these, and also may not be passive gathered (Boulders, Trunks, Clusters, etc)
-Also not included are Engineering's Plans, which may not be passive gathered and must be made by the Hero.

P.S.
The Laborer has enough Archeology to gather Artifact Fragments, they are cheaper and easier to work with.

And as they answered 1 & 2, I'll take 3 (and sorry for the rambling wall of text >.<):
-You'll need to have any building with the needed comfort, and then you'll have to go to the gathering site's Building Tab.
-Then open the tab of the resource you'd like to gather (Some sites have several item groups, eg Fuel and Uncut Gems).
-Lastly, click on your companion (at top of screen), and select the item you'd like to have them gather.
Mild note: When doing the above, you'll need to effective skill to gather it and their skill must also meet/exceed the item's difficulty (otherwise it will not show up). Easiest way to raise it is doing (gathering) tasks with the companion.

Hope that was helpful (and understandable), and answered any questions you had unanswered.

glumetzul
Citoyen

Postby glumetzul » Wed 09 Mar 2016, 21:28

Thank you all for your answers. I've managed to make the bastard work finally :)

Return to “General”