How many alts is too many?

Fysh
Citoyen
Realm: -

Postby Fysh » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 09:24

I only discovered this game three days ago, and already I am hooked! I have already created a second character, and soon will be creating my third. The way things are going I can see myself moving to 4 or 5 characters fairly soon.

My question is - is 4 or 5 characters on a single server too many? What I mean is that I do not want to spoil the game for myself. Will I finish everything there is to do much too quickly and then regret having so many characters? Please advise me!

Tiny Hippo
Bourlingueur
Realm: Tortolion

Re: How many alts is too many?

Postby Tiny Hippo » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 11:20

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=2875

Read this.
15 nonpremium acounts, premium not limited
I'm not rude to you, I'm just hurtful
:lol:

Balok
Bâtisseur
Realm: Fauconnia

Postby Balok » Mon 24 Jul 2017, 14:17

Most people, by the time they get into Lanfar and Norstria, have many alts. The game designers recently imposed the limit discussed above for non-premium accounts. (A premium account is simply one you've spent blue crowns on, to acquire 'crossings' and other perks. Some people have all the perks, some have only a few.)

Most people discover that, to advance at a reasonable pace, they have to add alts. This is because of the materials required to build advanced machinery, and the difficult of obtaining those materials (low presence, lengthy time to obtain, etc.)
Gentlemen! You can't fight in here!! This is the War Room!

Gopol
Mystique
Realm: Agonedus

Postby Gopol » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 11:22

His question isn't about allowed limit but about what's a good balance.

You can have up to 5 alts per account and multiple accounts. Multiple accounts obviously do not share bought perks and the like.

If you want to build a solo guild (a rather extreme thing to do but relatively common among the longest playing players), you will likely want 15-20 alts...
The problem is that with 15+ alts, even if you organize yourself so that you don't have to think about the actions of most of them, it still take a lot of time just to program them and leaves little time for more active playing like dungeons and quests.

Without a solo guild, I would go for 10 (=2 accounts) but most of them will do pretty much the same thing for weeks and a good many of them will be put to help whichever guild you join. Suppose you want to build an inn in the den for your main, having 2 or 3 alts cutting the marapis will certainly help without really spoiling anything.

You will likely only have 2 or 3 alts that you raise more "seriously" and often do combats etc...

Fysh
Citoyen

Postby Fysh » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:16

Thanks, I've decided to build up to 5 over the coming days, and will probably stick with that. I don't think I could cope with any more than that - at least for the time being!

Fysh
Citoyen

Postby Fysh » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 18:30

Is it best to develop all skills within a particular branch on a single character? For instance under Fashioning, there is Sewing, Tanning and Jewellery. Are all three required on a single character? Will characters be at a disadvantage if they only take some of the disciplines, and other characters take the rest?

To be specific, I was thinking of one character taking: Sewing, Tanning and Horticulture, while another takes Jeweller, and another takes Botany and Herbalism. Would I be at a disadvantage if I did something like this?

Gopol
Mystique
Realm: Agonedus

Postby Gopol » Tue 25 Jul 2017, 23:35

If you want to raise multiple skills in a branch (you should), it is best to do it with the same character.

Fysh
Citoyen

Postby Fysh » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 14:08

Ah yes, I see that improving one helps improve the others because of the group skill - thanks!

Astral
Citoyen

Postby Astral » Wed 26 Jul 2017, 14:11

Return to “General”