How i managed to set the language/locale in pc client

catellan
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

How i managed to set the language/locale in pc client

Postby catellan » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 18:58

Hi,
I wanted to change the language of the standalone silverlight pc client, i've been trying for more than a year.
I've searched the forum but came out empty handed, now i managed!

i'm italian, and currently running windows 7 EN. When i installed it i switched the region to italiaa/italy for the date/digits settings.
That means that every resourse of the system is in english but i get the date printed as dd/mm/yyyy and that i don't get the upper dot in the numbers neer the thouseds.

With these settings when i downloaded and installed the client i got it in italian.

here's what i've done to get the client in english:
By:
- reverting those settings to english/United Kingdom
- rebooting
- redownloading and reinstalling the client (without uninstall the previous one)
and when i started the client it was in english (that was my goal).

After the installing i was able to switch back the settings to italian/italy without getting the client back in italian, so i think that the check on what resource to use is done at the moment of the installation.

To change the locale i went in Start -> Control Panel -> Region and Language
and i changed all of the settings i found from italian to english:
- Format tab
- Location tab
- Administrative tab -> change system locale

Don't know which one made it works, i just changed them all to be sure.
Hope this can be of any help to those who struggled to change the language like me.

catellan
Citoyen
Realm: Fauconnia

Re: How i managed to set the language/locale in pc client

Postby catellan » Tue 21 Mar 2017, 21:17

I've to correct myself..
resetting the region to italian does indeed switched the client back to italian.. my bad!
I've played with the configurations a little more and i discoverd that the locale used by the game is the one from the Formats tab, if i change just that (even without rebooting the OS, just closing and reopening the client) the in game gui language changes accordingly.
But i don't want my os with english like date format!

So, at the end, i managed to get the result i wanted (the client in english) with a more "hacking" way.. i remove the IT locale resources from the intallation package and changed the xml installation conf file and reinstalled the game with my modified package.
Works pefectly, but i advise not to do that.
EVER!
.. or at lease if you don't know exacly what are you doing and what to expect.. There's surely going to be problem with updated version of the game, and generally, keep in mind that if you do this and you get crashes or other problem it's going to be on you, don't expect the developers to fix yours tampered client installation.

I really hope that game developes won't be angry at me for that, it is the only way i found to be able to play in english and still using windows with IT dates and formats..

Return to “Support and bugs reports”