Therian Saga on Linux

Falkarma
Bâtisseur
Realm: -

Therian Saga on Linux

Postby Falkarma » Tue 27 Nov 2018, 14:19

Hi everyone,

We received a message awhile back (sorry for the delay) from one of our players about a way to play to Therian Saga under Linux using Wine. We tested it and it's really great, not only did he explain to us the way to do it but he created a full package with everything needed to do it! Even if you are not a Linux superuser (i'm not) you can install the package and have Therian Saga running in a few minutes.

I personally tested the latest Ubuntu and Peppermint (peppermint is great for older computers):

The first thing to do is to have a Linux computer.
Then you download the package: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k8rxvyu9y162y ... ar.xz?dl=0
You extract the package somewhere and go to the 0_setup forlder.
Open the README file and follow the instruction there.
#### Author: Benoit Carreres ####
#### setup a theriansaga for linux using firefox session loaded with silverlight ####

#1 Install wine 3.0 or newer
### you can do that using any software center, or via command line
### ubuntu
sudo apt-get install wine
# or for newer wine version
sudo apt-get install wine-devel

#2 Install winetricks
sudo apt install winetricks

#3 Install script in this folder
### the script is executable, so you can install from terminal or from the gui:
1_setupTherianSaga.sh

#99 Uninstall
### remove anything created from the setup script
99_removeTherianSaga.sh

#known ERRORS:
### XULRunner:
#####Error: Platform version 'xx.x.x' is not compatible with minVersion >= yy.y.y maxversion <= yy.y.y
##### If this happens, it means firefox did auto update, so the link file was moved to 'firefox.bck'.
#####To fix this, there are 2 possibilities:
######## Move TherianSaga.exe back to the 'firefox' folder
######## Rerun the install script '1_setupTherianSaga.sh'. It will make a new link file.

I think the author of the script will continue to improve his package based on your comments, let us know if you test the package and the result you get!
Therian Saga

Patrope
Bourlingueur
Realm: Fauconnia

Re: Therian Saga on Linux

Postby Patrope » Wed 28 Nov 2018, 02:53

That's fabulous! Would something similar work on MacOS?

Xan
Bourlingueur

Postby Xan » Wed 28 Nov 2018, 07:28

What about support Win XP?
Маркус

Céline
Mystique

Postby Céline » Wed 28 Nov 2018, 10:15

Windows xp sp3 require less secure system, and we won't go back on security (for the servers, for the databases, for the players private information).
If we found a solution, we will explain it, but we don't have it for the moment.
---
~Contact : support@virtys.com~

Kerdo
Bâtisseur
Realm: Agonedus

Postby Kerdo » Wed 28 Nov 2018, 13:26

Xan wrote:What about support Win XP?

Patrope wrote:That's fabulous! Would something similar work on MacOS?

Not so hard: DL and install the good virtualbox version for you. Install a virtual Linux (Peppermint is ok ) or a windows OS (choose the one you want at https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/m ... tools/vms/) If you choose Linux then use the Wine package above.
As a virtual machine it's not a trouble if windows isn't updated later.

Giray
Bourlingueur
Realm: Hipporiel

Postby Giray » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 07:49

Mi udało się uruchomić Therian Saga na Android - przyznam się jednak, że zainspirował mnie Zaganek ;)

Cloudigger
Mystique

Postby Cloudigger » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 13:27

Giray wrote:Mi udało się uruchomić Therian Saga na Android - przyznam się jednak, że zainspirował mnie Zaganek ;)

Can you write us at support@virtys.com how you did that. Even in Polish, we will translate it =D Thank you

Kerdo
Bâtisseur

Postby Kerdo » Thu 29 Nov 2018, 16:28

Avec un bon téléphone / bonne tablette et en mettant un tant soit peu les mains dans le cambouis (rien de bien méchant quand même) Limbo est un émulateur de machines x86 sur support ARM (en clair un PC sur un mobile quoi :p ) et il est assez simple d''y installer une distri Linux allégée (ça marche comme une machine virtuelle sur mobile/tablette) donc probablement Wine par la même occasion. Probablement car je n'ai pas essayé, je sais juste que je peux faire tourner une "mini Debian" sans souci.

Webbit
Défricheur
Realm: Fauconnia

Postby Webbit » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 03:07

Are you joking? This file is corrupted and just a malware!

Giray
Bourlingueur

Postby Giray » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 05:36

Cloudigger wrote:
Giray wrote:Mi udało się uruchomić Therian Saga na Android - przyznam się jednak, że zainspirował mnie Zaganek ;)

Can you write us at support@virtys.com how you did that. Even in Polish, we will translate it =D Thank you

http://forum.benchmark.pl/topic/55656-m ... ndroidzie/

Céline
Mystique

Postby Céline » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 06:41

Webbit wrote:Are you joking? This file is corrupted and just a malware!

Or a false positive ;)
---

Kerdo
Bâtisseur

Postby Kerdo » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 10:07

Céline wrote:

Or a false positive ;)

If you have a doubt, just check link, file etc... never trust your antivirus at 100%, even a very good one ;)

Giray
Bourlingueur

Postby Giray » Fri 30 Nov 2018, 15:17

Céline wrote:

Or a false positive ;)

Celine znowu rozrabia :D

isprite
Citoyen

Postby isprite » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 06:15

What about Unity? *trollface*

Céline
Mystique

Postby Céline » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 06:46

To isprite
---

b8e5n
Défricheur
Realm: Alchimideon

Postby b8e5n » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 22:09

Hi Everyone,
I am the author of that tool. That was for myself at first, but it's always best to share ;)
It works great, and you cannot compare it to the inferior way of emulating into a virtual machine. I did it myself for a while, and it has its load of bottlenecks. Wine is getting better at an impressive rate (thanks to valve's help), so I am confident it might even run better in the future.
It should be easy to get it working on a mac, wine works there. I con't help much on that, but I believe that it should not be too hard to get it working.
Wine does exist on android, so that should work there, but only on x86 hardware of course. There are a bunch of emulating software to run x86 stuff on ARM devices, it can work quite well apparently, but I haven't bothered myself. Especially because I don't have a tablet, and I don't believe the interface can be used on a phone...
Anyway, if you have suggestions to improve or questions, you can ask me, I'll keep an eye on that forum.
For information, the firefox should not update anymore, the you can ignore the comments in the script and in the post of falkarama. Anyway, firefox should not be updated anymore, or it will break.

If someone wants to work on that, I could submit it on my gitlab, and we could make a multi-platform version, supporting mac or other linux distros.

Cheers,
Ben

Cloudigger
Mystique

Postby Cloudigger » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 22:43

b8e5n wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am the author of that tool. That was for myself at first, but it's always best to share ;)
It works great, and you cannot compare it to the inferior way of emulating into a virtual machine. I did it myself for a while, and it has its load of bottlenecks. Wine is getting better at an impressive rate (thanks to valve's help), so I am confident it might even run better in the future.
It should be easy to get it working on a mac, wine works there. I con't help much on that, but I believe that it should not be too hard to get it working.
Wine does exist on android, so that should work there, but only on x86 hardware of course. There are a bunch of emulating software to run x86 stuff on ARM devices, it can work quite well apparently, but I haven't bothered myself. Especially because I don't have a tablet, and I don't believe the interface can be used on a phone...
Anyway, if you have suggestions to improve or questions, you can ask me, I'll keep an eye on that forum.
For information, the firefox should not update anymore, the you can ignore the comments in the script and in the post of falkarama. Anyway, firefox should not be updated anymore, or it will break.

If someone wants to work on that, I could submit it on my gitlab, and we could make a multi-platform version, supporting mac or other linux distros.

Cheers,
Ben

Thank you... I'll let Falk Know about your offer. :)

Barzim
Défricheur

Postby Barzim » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 16:19

Bonjour,

J'ai un souci avec l'archive sur dropBox, le fichier semble corrompue chez moi quand j'essaye de le décompresser graphiquement ou en mode commande

Code: Select all

xz : therianSaga_wine64.tar.xz: Fin des données inattendue

J'ai la toute dernière version Unbuntu 18.04.01

Une idée ?
Merci

b8e5n
Défricheur

Postby b8e5n » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 17:59

I made small changes to the installer and the uninstaller. Most importantly, the line copying the icon was gone :shock:
Anyway, this is the latest version, enjoy:
https://app.box.com/s/3l0o8dg98k1fsk3yqx1b68f37vt4mm01

b8e5n
Défricheur

Postby b8e5n » Sun 09 Dec 2018, 23:06

Barzim wrote:Bonjour,

J'ai un souci avec l'archive sur dropBox, le fichier semble corrompue chez moi quand j'essaye de le décompresser graphiquement ou en mode commande

Code: Select all

xz : therianSaga_wine64.tar.xz: Fin des données inattendue

J'ai la toute dernière version Unbuntu 18.04.01

Une idée ?
Merci

Regarde mon poste precedent, telecharge la nouvelle archive, celle ci devrais marcher sans probleme.

Return to “Therianblog”