Dev.Unity.Blog 2016-07-12

Falkarma
Bâtisseur
Realm: -

Dev.Unity.Blog 2016-07-12

Postby Falkarma » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 17:10

For those following us since 2014, you know that there in the Myriaden's sky a constellation named Unity. And many of our residents look to the sky in hope one day a new version of the game will come for those distant stars. (OK, let get to the point now.)

Hi,

It is true that we are working on this version. As we stated in our 3rd anniversary post, the end of our distributions deals has given a huge blow to the Unity Project. We had to refocus our workforce around what we had here and now to stay alive: The Windows/Mac version.

I'll make it clear in one sentence : We have no release date, no detail on which version will come first and it is true that development of this version is slowed down right now. We are looking for solutions, but have nothing to announce today.

Now let's get to the cool part.

A little history

Our lead developer for the Unity version, Mathieu Leblanc, did an awesome job in 2015. Porting a Silverlight Game to Unity is one of the least common things you will see in game development (Pretty sure we are almost the only commercial Silverlight game ever). Silverlight offer all the goodies of a full MS environment with MVVM, data binding, XAML UI system, Entity Framework database models, etc. Porting those features to Unity is not automatic, but at least it uses a common C# programming language (but not the same .NET version). So, anyway, he created a very cool environment where all game data is taken from the old version and is optimized for Unity. The Unity Version rely less on the server because all static data is now client-sided, allowing lot of optimization and lots more players per server than our current version.

In 2015, lot of work has been done to rethink the game so it can be playable on tablets or phones. Our current UI is designed for personal computers, lots of modification is needed to have it playable on a phone. We ended up with a very cool concept, but it took lots of work to get there. (Could talk about this in another blog)

It's interesting that we started the project almost the same month that Unity 5 was released. It was cool, but new version of the engine also meant that we had to work with bugs and hot-fixes. But the Unity team is great, so things went very smoothly. I would say that WebGL did not fulfill all the promises we hoped for, even if some commercial products were released with it, there are some turn down to this system.

An What About now

So what do we have now? I know it’s the question you are asking the most.

Our effort is now on creating the personal computer version (called "standalone"), so a game looking like the old one compatible with PC, MAC and Linux, this version would be used for Beta. Other platform (Android, iOS, WebGL) and the "mobile" layout for phone would follow when the "standalone" version would be gold (released).

We have a game that is unpolished but where all basics (task, combat, dungeons, companions, inventory, etc.) are playable. We are to the point on where one part of the team should be on polishing and the other on adding game features using the current framework of the new version. The server side also need changes to handle web socket communication.

Some screens!

I will add screenshot but take in consideration that no polishing have been done on the UI, it is works in progress.

One of the tests we did is having the menu vertical to allow the game to work better on some tablet or PC with a 4:3 screen ratio.

TherianSagaUnity_BasicUI.jpg
TherianSagaUnity_BasicUI.jpg (474.78 KiB) Viewed 29038 times

One of the cool things about Unity is how you create UI, there is no building process when designing, so you create a fake level and use your "prefab" to create the UI element, hit Play and see how it looks. I was in charge of some of the UI and I must say that for an old-schooler developer, that was very odd at first.

TherianSagaUnity_BuldingUI.jpg
TherianSagaUnity_BuldingUI.jpg (459.52 KiB) Viewed 29038 times

One other thing that we played a with is floating UI, allowing you to configure your own UI. OK, yes, all programmers on the team played a lot of Ultima Online, so it kind of impact on how we see life. ;-)

TherianSagaUnity_FloatingUI.jpg
TherianSagaUnity_FloatingUI.jpg (454.92 KiB) Viewed 29038 times

Maybe not revolutionizing the game but this is something we wanted to do for a long time, we changed the dungeon layout to use a miniature of your hero instead of a portrait. I look very nice, we even have coloring feature to apply light on the hero depending on the dungeon room.

TherianSagaUnity_DungeonFigurine.jpg
TherianSagaUnity_DungeonFigurine.jpg (411.76 KiB) Viewed 29038 times

Stay tune for other blogs on Unity (or other Therian's Things).

Falk
(Cloudigger est en congé, je me risquerai pas à vous faire une version française sans lui ;-) )
Therian Saga

Lifewarden
Bâtisseur
Realm: Fauconnia

Re: Dev.Unity.Blog 2016-07-12

Postby Lifewarden » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 17:19

Looks very nice! Keep up the good work

Woody
Emperator

Postby Woody » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 17:43

Thanks for taking the time to post that Falk...

So next Tuesday yeah? ;)
Classic, Fantastic, Romantic

VonDiakonov
Citoyen
Realm: Agonedus

Postby VonDiakonov » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 17:51

That's awesome !!!

Fleur de Lys
Citoyen
Realm: Alchimideon

Postby Fleur de Lys » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 19:43

Bonsoir,

C'est super, j'adore la mise en place de ce qui semble être des fenêtres volantes. ça pouvais être assez gênant parfois quand tout se superposait. ça va permettre d'ouvrir le coffre et un courrier en même temps, je suppose :)

Le skin fade et lissé des fenêtres s'est juste pour le développement ? Car ça fait un peu vulgaire au milieu du reste. Je trouve que la texture actuel bien plus intéressante.

En tout c'est un super boulot, je vois une ergonomie bien plus fluide de l'interface. Bravo !
Thérian depuis le 07/08/2013.

Falkarma
Bâtisseur
Realm: -

Postby Falkarma » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 19:58

Le skin fade et lissé des fenêtres s'est juste pour le développement ? Car ça fait un peu vulgaire au milieu du reste. Je trouve que la texture actuel bien plus intéressante.

C'est en effet un test de simplification de la UI. Le fait est que sur téléphone l'ancienne UI est trop chargée et massive, donc nous avons testé une simplification. Même à l'interne nous n'avons pas encore statué sur le look final de la nouvelle version, donc on peut dire que c'est la skin de développement.

Je pourrai faire un blogue sur le seul sujet de la skin, j'ai quelques images intéressantes sur le sujet. Vos commentaires sur la question nous aideraient c'est certain.
Therian Saga

Nilrem
Emperator
Realm: Agonedus

Postby Nilrem » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 20:14

Thanks for this long post. It is very exciting to hear about your progress (even if I dont understand a word of some technical stuffs lol. thanks for the screen too, very promising
NIL ARC-EN-CIEL

:D

plantice
Traducteur

Postby plantice » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 20:23

Have you thought of getting free labor? I have been wanting some UI experience (and unity). If a call goes out, you might get some hits. I know in MoJ we have a couple professional programmers (myself included).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Boss Cat says, "Ya I'm going to need you to get back to work"

fingon
Bâtisseur

Postby fingon » Tue 12 Jul 2016, 22:08

Nice update!
Thanks Falk for the time you spent on it!

The screenshot on Development centre looks nice :)

I also like floating menus a lot...

Tiwil
Citoyen
Realm: Alchimideon

Postby Tiwil » Wed 13 Jul 2016, 09:47

Il était pas trop dur le grand serpent albinos falk?^^

Sinon cool ;)

Et bonne chance pour finir^^

Return to “Therianblog”